I hope all my American readers had a great 4th of July yesterday. We’ve been celebrating since Tuesday with fireworks and lots of grilling and watching old Die Hard movies (what better way to celebrate, right?).
If you need some fun and / or inspiring things to read while you wait for the weekend to officially arrive, here are some great things I’ve been reading online this week:
- I was a manic pixie dream girl by Laurie Penny @ New Statesman – the first half of this article is especially good. I don’t entirely agree with the article (I think Doctor Who’s recent companions have been pretty awesome personally) but I did find it interesting.
- Check out these amazing Disney paper dolls by Cor104 @ Deviant Art – I definitely want to print some of these for my daughter!
- I will never buy taco seasoning again thanks to Alton Brown’s Taco Potion #19 – I’ve tried a couple homemade taco seasonings and this one is by far the best.
- The Decline and Fall of the English Major @ The New York Times has been all over the blogosphere lately. I also really enjoyed Alison’s post In Defense of English Majors @ Hardcovers and Heroines.
- If you are running out of ideas for cheap fun things to do with the kids this summer, make sure you check out Made by Joel’s archives of printable toys. Perhaps a paper circus or Oscillating Bird Science Toy?
- Normally if I shared a Mommy Shorts post with you guys, it would be side splitting funny but today I want to share her Secret to Enjoying Parenthood. It’s more of a grab a hanky and nod in agreement type post and one of my favorite things I read this week.
- Still bored? I have been weirdly obsessed with this Facebook game: Lyroke – guess the lyrics to popular (or not so popular) songs. You can compete against friends or play by yourself.